Writing Center Services:
- Face-to-Face Consultations – Consultations are offered on a walk-in or appointment basis and last for a half hour; in that time we can discuss 4-5 pages of writing, as well as offer suggestions on how students can improve their writing skills, including proper documentation of sources using APA, MLA, or other formats and how to avoid plagiarism. The Writing Center also advises students seeking guidance with job application or scholarship application materials such as resumes and cover letters.
- Writing Lab – The Writing Center contains 12 computers and areas perfect for study and is also Wi-Fi ready for students who wish to bring laptops.
- Classroom Visits – Writing Center consultants are available to visit classrooms at a faculty member’s request, in order to inform students about Writing Center services.
Helping Students at Any Stage of the Writing Process:
- Prewriting—coming up with a great topic or research idea
- Planning—creating an organizational plan for a project
- Drafting—guiding students during the drafting process
- Revising—answering specific questions about the student’s paper
To Make the Most of Your Visit, Bring:
- Specific goals for what you want to accomplish in your session
- The syllabus or assignment requirements and ideas and questions about your writing
- Necessary textbooks or reference materials and something to write with
Suggestions for Students:
- Manage your time – make appointments early enough to allow WC staff to make suggestions and schedule follow-up appointments before your assignment is due
- Avoid plagiarism – Avoiding plagiarism is entirely the responsibility of the student. If you have a question about what constitutes plagiarism, just ask.
- Be prepared to participate, ask questions, and discuss – Writing Center consultants discuss your writing with you; you are expected to take an active role in that discussion.
Contact Writing Center
Student Success Center (SSDC), Room 3612
Writing Center Hours:
Fall / Spring
Mon – Thurs 8:00 – 7:00
Friday – 8:00 – noon
Mon – Thurs 8:00 – 6:00
Closed on Fridays.