Assist community, enrolled, and former TC students
- Prepare for entrance testing, including the TSI Assessment, HESI-A2, HOBET V, COMPASS, and THEA
- Present test-taking strategies for Reading, English, and Math
- Assist with Temple College admission process
- Discuss selection of possible major area of college study
- Confer with students regarding appropriate classes for fields of study
- Contact with special needs’ advisor when class modifications are indicated
Assist students in Developmental Reading, Writing, Math, and Study Skills classes
- Visit Reading, Writing and Study Skills classes to provide valuable information for college success
- Answer questions about class assignments
- Review work done for these classes–offer supplementary material if needed
- Help prepare students to test out of some developmental classes by passing TSI
Assist Vocational and Associate Degree Nursing students
- Pre-class summer seminar sessions with math, reading comprehension, and study skills assistance
- Continued support for the nursing students for the above skills throughout the course of their programs
Assist with essay writing for developmental classes
Assist Business and Community Education students (e.g., Pharmacy Technician & math)
Assist Workforce (WIA) with people who need improvement in their basic skills to qualify for WIA payment for different areas of study with TC (e.g., LVN, CNA, Pharmacy Tech, etc.)
Maintain attendee records for grant purposes
Student Success Center (SSDC), Room 3600
Tutors are available to help students who are enrolled in:
- Math 0435 and Math 0450
- INRW 0402
- Assistance is also available for the TSI Assessment, HOBET-V, and HESI-A2 tests.
Is there a free online practice test for the nursing entrance test, HESI-A2?
EAC instructors have not found a reliable free online practice test for HESI-A2. Free tutoring is available in the EAC. Because the EAC is funded by grants, seat time is required. Work packets are not handed out at the door. Students must spend seat time in the EAC classroom. If students are unable to come to the EAC, the instructors recommend buying or using the TC Library’s copy of the official study guide, Evolve Reach HESI Admission Assessment Exam Review, 2nd edition, which is available at the TC Bookstore on the main campus or at EWCHEC-Taylor and EWCHEC-Hutto.
Are computers available in the EAC to use for D2L classwork?
Yes. The EAC has computers where you can do your D2L classwork. However, the EAC tutors are academic skills tutors. If you have technical questions about how to use the computer or D2L, you can go to:
Watson Technical Center’s (WTC) Open Computer Lab in Room 501.
Use the WTC entrance facing Marvin Felder Drive. Look to your right, and you will see the window-enclosed open lab.
Mon. – Thurs. 7:30 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.
Fri. 8 a.m. – Noon
First floor of the Arnold Student Union (ASU)
Use the entrance at the opposite end of ASU from the Bookstore.
Beyond the stairway and the seating area are the window-enclosed offices of eLearning.
Mon.- Thurs. from 8a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday from 8 a.m. to Noon
Brian St. Amour
What free online site do you recommend for learning how to write an essay for the TSI placement test?
The TSI placement test evaluates a student’s ability to write a five-paragraph essay. The following free open website guides the prospective student through the steps.
- Click – English Works!
- Click – Writing.
- Click – Essays.
- Click – Structure of an Essay. Click – Structure of an Essay: Outline.
- For examples of Composition I level essays, click – 5-Paragraph and Outline “The Hazards of Movie Going” and Click – 5-Paragraph Essay, “My Job in an Apple Plant”
Is there a free online practice test for the HOBET-V, health occupations’ entrance test?
EAC instructors have not found a reliable free online practice test for HOBET-V. Free tutoring is available in the EAC. Because the EAC is funded by grants, seat time is required. Work packets are not handed out at the door. Students must spend seat time in the EAC classroom. If students are unable to come to the EAC, the instructors recommend buying or using the TC Library’s copy of the official study guide, Study Manual for the Health Occupations Basic Entrance Test (HOBET) Version V published Assessment Technologies Institute, 2010.