This class will provide the necessary information and skills to prepare the student to become a state certified nurse aide and work in health care facilities, where he/she will assist nurses in providing patient care. Nurse aides perform basic care functions such as bathing, grooming and feeding patients, assisting nurses with medical equipment, and checking patients’ vital signs under the supervision of a Licensed Vocational Nurse or a Registered Nurse. They work in many types of health care facilities, including hospitals, long‐term care facilities, home health agencies, community health clinics, hospices, and physicians’ offices.
Upon successful completion of the Texas Nurse Aide Training program and the state examination, the student becomes a Texas Certified Nurse Aide. Texas Certified Nurse Aides are under the jurisdiction of the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS) and take the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP).
Degrees & Certificates
Individuals must meet the following requirements for admission:
- Has earned a high school diploma, GED, or High School Equivalence Certificate
- Is a minimum of 18 years old
- Has a photo ID and a social security card
- Willing to complete a criminal history background check (individuals with any infractions that would prohibit state certification will not be admitted into the program)
- Is willing to provide evidence of required immunizations (Tuberculosis skin test, flu shot, and Hepatitis B series Vaccine)
- Is willing to provide the results from a drug screening test prior to the beginning of clinical rotations
- Proof of completion of the CPR course for Healthcare Provider prior to the beginning of clinical rotations
- Is not listed on the Nurse Aide Registry (NAR) as unemployable*
*Temple College is required to check the Nurse Aide Registry (NAR) prior to enrolling individuals in a training program to ensure that those persons are not listed on the registry as unemployable for a finding of abuse, neglect or misappropriation of resident’s property.
The Certified Nurse Aid course is offered three times a year and each class size is limited to the first 10 students who have completed the application process.
The completed application packet and all required documentation must be dropped off in person to the BCE Registration Office.
- Only complete applications are accepted
- Be prepared to pay for the course
- Be prepared to pay $35 with a credit card or debit card for an online background check
$960.00 Total Cost (includes tuition and textbooks, and a $30 onetime payment plan fee)
Payment Plan: Three payments of $320 each are due every two weeks. The first payment is due at the time of registration. Cash payments cannot be used to set up payment plans; payment plans are set up online. Checking and routing information is preferred. Credit and Debit card payments are accepted but additional fees apply.
Financial Aid: Eligible students may receive financial aid for 50% of the tuition. Apply at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Loans: Student Loans may be available through SallieMae’s Smart Option Student Loan. Call 1-866-439-0993 for more information.
|Criminal Background Check||$35 (paid with a credit or debit card)|
|Drug Screen||$30 or more|
|Set of Tan Scrubs||$15-$25 (price varies)|
|Supplies||Watch with a second hand
Comfortable closed toe and heel, mostly white shoes (no Crocs or bright colors)
Starting pay averages $10 an hour
U.S. Department of Labor
April 18 – June 13, 2018
Wednesdays and Thursdays, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Clinical/lab hours vary