Temple College Procedures

How do I withdraw from my class?

To drop a course you must complete a withdrawal form and see an advisor. Check the semester schedule for deadlines on withdrawing from courses. Students should meet with their instructor before dropping any course. Students on Financial Aid should also check how the drop may impact funding before dropping the class.

If it is too late, what happens if I withdraw anyway?

After the withdrawal deadline has passed a grade will be awarded for that course. Failure to attend classes will result in a failing grade.

When is it too late for a refund?

Check the semester schedule for the dates of the refund schedule.

What happens if I simply quit going to class?

If the appropriate papers are not filled out and turned into the advising office by the withdrawal deadline, students will receive an “F” for the course.

If I never attend class will I automatically be dropped?

No, students must file the appropriate forms to drop the class before the withdrawal deadline or the student will receive an “F” for the course.

Who can change grades?

It is the responsibility of the instructor to determine grades for a class. If an Instructor decides a change of grade is warranted, he/she must contact the Director of Admissions and Records. For grade appeals procedure see the Student Handbook.

What do I do if I get failing or poor grades?

Talk with your advisor about strategies for success and Campus resources.

Can I repeat a course?

Yes. At TC, a student can repeat a course. However, some transfer institutions will evaluate repeated courses differently. Check with transfer institution. Repeating a course for a third time will result in additional tuition costs.

If I repeat a course, what happens'?

Only the higher grade will be used in calculating the grade point average and applied toward degree and program requirements. Not all transfer institutions will calculate repeated coursework the same way. Check with the transfer institution to verify policy.

Can a grade be taken off my transcript?

It is the policy of Temple College not to take a grade off a transcript.

What is a prerequisite?

A prerequisite is a course that must be completed before a higher-level course may be attempted. Course prerequisites are listed in the course description section of the catalog.

How do I get departmental or instructor approval for a course?

The division can identify the appropriate contact person for special approvals. Look in the back of the catalog for division locations.

Is financial aid available for students at Temple College?

Yes, all students are advised to complete the FAFSA and contact the Financial Aid Department for more information.

How many credits should I take if I am employed?

For every hour in class, you can expect to spend a minimum of two hours of study and preparation. Family commitments, health, and personal situations will influence the number of hours a student will be able to complete successfully. (Divorces, death in family, legal difficulties, illness or personal problems will require time and energy.) The number of credit hours a working student can reasonably take should be discussed with an advisor.

How do I get a part time job?

Check with Financial Aid. They can assist you with locating a job, both on and off campus.

Where do I get Veterans assistance?

Veterans wishing to enroll and receive veteran’s benefits should contact the VA Coordinator in One College Centre.

How do I get an "I" incomplete grade?

All grades, including the “I” are determined by your instructor. Please refer to academic policies and grading system in the college catalog.

How do I remove and "I" incomplete grade from my record?

An “I” grade is an extension of time to complete the requirements of a course. It is your responsibility to contact your instructor to arrange to complete the coursework so that he/she can change your grade.

Can high school students take classes?

Yes, as long as they have completed or are exempt from the Texas Success Initiative placement test, and provide a high school transcript and a letter from the high school principal or counselor giving permission to enroll in TC classes. They also may be able to take dual credit classes. For dual credit information see your high school counselor.

Can I register for another student?


Does TC have a core curriculum?

Yes. See Core Curriculum.

Can I add a class or change my schedule?

Yes, see an advisor.

Will my credits transfer to other Texas Institutions?

Most of the curriculum will transfer to other state institutions. Many other classes will also transfer although some will only count as elective credit. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE STUDENT TO CHECK WITH THE COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY TO WHICH THEY WISH TO TRANSFER.

Does TC offer the College Level Examination Program CLEP?

Yes, contact the Testing Center for more information. The Testing Coordinator must be notified a month in advance for the CLEP testing.

Does TC offer the College Level Examination Program (CLEP)?

Yes, contact the Testing Center for more information. The Testing Coordinator must be notified a month in advance for the CLEP testing.

Learning Assistance

How can I get academic advising?

Go to the Advising Center during regular working hours.

How can I get a tutor?

Free tutoring is available through the TRIO program and the Education Assistance Center. In addition, tutors are available in many other areas of the school, e.g., math lab, computer lab.

How can I develop better study skills?

A study skills class is an excellent way to improve study skills. The course can be taken as a regular weekly class. See the class schedule for the STSK 0305 for the time and days it is offered. The Education Assistance Center also offers workshops to improve learning skills.

Are there special services for students with disabilities?

Contact the Coordinator of Student Accommodations in One College Centre.

What if I cannot attend every class session?

It is important to talk to your instructor about any absences. Attendance is mandatory. Many instructors consider attendance so essential that your grade could be affected by your absence.

What if my job interferes with my class?

It is wise to plan carefully to avoid conflicts with your work and class schedule. However, if a conflict does occur, contact your instructor. Sometimes arrangements can be made which would enable you to complete the course. The earlier your instructor knows, the more likely she/he will be able to help.

If my class is cancelled, what do I do?

See an advisor. Classes may be cancelled if there is insufficient enrollment. If your class is cancelled, you should try enrolling in another section or course. You may use the amount you paid for the cancelled class as credit for the cost of your new course. If you are unable to add another course, the college will mail you your refund.

What if the class I need is not offered this term?

Each department at TC determines course offerings based on previous enrollment. Contact the division concerning the course you need. They need to know if there is additional student demand and may be able to provide alternative courses.

What if I do not have the prerequisites for the class I want?

Check with the department offering the class. The coordinator of the department may be able to give you the permission to register if you have the necessary skills to complete the course successfully.

Graduation Requirements

How do I know if I meet graduation requirements?

Have a degree check completed in the Advising Center.

Note: you must apply for your degree in the Admission’s Office at least one full term before the semester in which you wish to graduate. Official degree evaluations are available after official transcripts have been submitted to the Admissions and Records Office.

If I take classes not listed on my education plan will they count toward graduation?

Your education plan lists all the courses required for graduation. Other courses may not count towards graduation. Check with your advisor. Some programs will accept a limited number of electives.

What kinds of degrees are available?

There are two associate degrees offered at TC. They are: Associate of Arts, and Associate of Applied Science. There are also Certificate programs available. The Associate of Arts degree provides general academic courses, which are designed to enable students to transfer to four-year institutions. The Associate of Applied Science degree prepares students to enter and compete in the job market.

Note: Students should remember that the majority of credits earned in most vocational technical programs are designed to develop workplace competencies and may not transfer.

How many hours are needed for an associate degree?

Associate degrees require 64 or more hours depending upon the program. See Degree Plans.

If I have not been following a degree plan, can I get an associate degree?

Degrees are awarded when all requirements listed on a degree plan are satisfied. File a request for a degree evaluation in Admissions if you are in doubt. You can also check your Program Evaluation on TConnect.

Do four-year colleges require that I have an Associate degree before I transfer?

Most four year colleges do not require you to have an Associate degree.

Transfer Information

What classes do I need to transfer?

There are course equivalency guides available for many but not all possible transfer programs. You will need to determine what your major will be and what school you plan to attend. Contact that college/university for its requirements.

How do I know that they will accept the courses I take at TC?

The Texas Common Course Numbering system (TCCNS) has been designed to aid students in the transfer of general academic courses between colleges and universities throughout Texas. Check on the transferability of courses between individual colleges at http://www.tccns.org/. Students should always consult with an advisor at their chosen transfer institution to determine the specific requirements of their major.

What if I do not know where I will transfer or what my major will be?

Advising may be helpful in this event. It is better to focus on the general course requirements for the A.A. degree until you have a better idea of your direction. The Advising Center has information which may help you decide.

How do I know if I will get into the program at the school to which I am planning to transfer?

It is recommended that you contact the Admissions Office at the transfer institution to determine requirements.

How can I transfer my Temple College credits to another school?

Download Transcript Requests form in pdf format. Complete this form and mail or drop off at Admissions and Records office in One College Centre.

How can I transfer another school credits to Temple College?

Write your school and request an official copy of your transcript be sent to:
Admissions and Records Office
Temple College
2600 South First Street
Temple, Texas 76504 (Fees may be required)

How do I know what credits TC will accept from my school?

When TC receives your transcript, the Admissions Department will evaluate it and show the courses and credit accepted.

Where can I get a catalog for the school to which I am planning to transfer?

Most colleges have their catalog on their Website.

Can I take less than 60 semester credits and still transfer?

Many schools will consider your application with less than 60 credits. There may be additional restrictions. To be sure, contact the transfer institution.

Do vocational technical credits transfer to other institutions?

Vocational technical courses in general do not transfer. However, transferability depends on the institution. Requirements vary. Contact the transfer institution to be sure.

Are there substitute classes I can take that Temple College will accept?

You would need to talk with an advisor in your major. The head of that division will make the final decision. A description of the course from the course schedule or catalog will be needed to determine if TC has an equivalent course.

How do I change quarter hours to semester hours?

1.5 quarter hours = 1 semester hour.

Is there a limit to the number of credits a four-year college will accept from TC?

Typically a four-year college will accept up to one half of a bachelor’s program from a community college. There are exceptions to this. Contact the Admissions Office at the college where you plan to transfer.

Choosing A Major

How do I choose a major/career?

Some of the ways to take the career assessment testing offered through the Advising Office or to use DISCOVER. (a computer-assisted career guidance system), talk to people who are in jobs you might like, or seek career counseling with an adviser.

Do I have to declare a major?

No, but it may be difficult to determine the appropriate classes to take if you do not know your general direction.

What majors have the best chance for a job?

The Texas Workforce should be contacted for the most up-to-date information.

How do I know which classes to start with?

See your advisor to help you develop your education plan.

How do I change my major?

Forms are available in the Admissions and Records Office.

How can I find out the classes I will need for my major?

See your advisor.

What are the basics? Will they apply to any major?

Basics are usually general education courses. Basics are courses that are required of all students in a program or at an institution. However, since different schools have different requirements, the basics may vary. Temple College: Core Curriculum Courses

Can I just "sit-in" on classes until I find out if the classes interest me?

Normally, only students who have paid tuition for a class can occupy a seat in the classroom. You may enroll on an audit basis for an additional fee. However, first priority is given to non-audit students.

I cannot read very well. Will this affect my major?

Yes. Many majors involve classes that require a great deal of reading. The ACCUPLACER test should tell you if you are at college reading level. Developmental classes are available to develop your reading skills.

I am working. Are most of the classes offered in the evening?

Yes, over a period of several terms. Check the “Schedule of Classes”.

I have a lot of work experience. Can I get college credit for it?

Check with the Admissions Office.

How can I find out about off-campus classes and where they are offered?

Off-campus classes are listed in the “Schedule of Classes”.